Last Tuesday, Carson had another weight check. I was super nervous because his weight checks always feel like an indication of how good of a mother I am. Ridiculous? Yes. But still true. Alex and I had still been waking Carson every 3 or so hours to eat, and we were both so tired. I secretly hoped Carson's doctor would tell us we wouldn't have to wake Carson to eat anymore, but I assumed that probably wasn't a possibility.
But I was wrong! Carson weighed in at 12 pounds 3.8 ounces! Dr. Slette was super happy with that. She said he had gained something crazy like 9 ounces in 6 days. I was absolutely ecstatic! I was just so proud of Carson too because I know waking up and eating every 3 hours had been pretty rough on him, but he just did great!
And the best part? Dr. Slette said Carson was back on track and that we didn't need to wake him to eat anymore! We could just let him sleep and wake up to eat on his own! Whoo hoo!! Best news ever!
During the past week, we definitely let Carson sleep longer, but during the day I'd still wake him after 4 hours (when he slept that long anyway). And then at night, after 5 or maybe 6 hours. Man, I'd forgotten just how glorious a 4-5 hour stretch of sleep felt!
And then yesterday, Carson had his 4 month check up. This included shots - which Carson handled much better than his mom! He's also right on track with everything. And get this - he weighed 12 pounds 10.8 ounces! I'm so happy to see his little thighs becoming not so little, and I love love love his chubby cheeks! With his current weight, Carson is officially in the upper 2 percentile, which Dr. Slette is very happy about. And get this - Carson is 25 1/4 inches long! That puts him in the lower 50 percentile for length. What's crazy is that just a couple of weeks ago, Carson was 23 1/4 inches long. It's insane how fast a baby can grow!
Because of Carson's low birth weight and recent hospital stay, it's no surprise that I've been super stressed out about Carson's weight. I'd freak out if I wasn't perfect about feeding Carson exactly every 3 hours. And I'd panic if I slept through the three alarms we'd set during the night. Yes, three. I even kept a thorough record of what time Carson ate - making sure it followed the 3-hour regimen - as well as what he ate and how much. Heck, I even wrote down when he had pee or poop diapers.
And even though it was stressful and even though I worried, it is such a huge blessing to see all of my efforts, Alex's efforts, and Carson's efforts pay off. I feel so grateful that Carson is doing so well today. And I'm so thankful for Heavenly Father's mindfulness of our little family.
But Carson has definitely had a rough haul. In fact, Friday night he developed some tummy problems with throwing up and spitting up ... a lot. And he still is, just not quite as often or as much. So Alex and I can just tell he's got a little bug and doesn't feel so well. The funny thing is, Carson's handling it much better than I am. Every time he throws up, I get super worried. But since Friday night and through all of it, Carson has nothing but smiles. It's pretty evident he has his daddy's calm and contented nature.
Good thing too - because somebody needs to keep his mom relatively calm!!
And a few pictures from the past few days to show you just how cute Carson is, even when he's sick. :) I just love this blue-eyed boy! :)
| Thanks for the cute outfit, Auntie Shana! |
| Looking at Daddy...who is obviously making some funny noises. |
| Can YOU tell my mommy can't just pick out just a couple pictures? I sure can. |
No comments:
Post a Comment