Monday, May 8, 2017

Big Boy Swimmer

I'm behind. SO behind. I haven't blogged in what feels like a year. I guess once I got a little behind, I got a little overwhelmed about how much I hadn't blogged. And after I got a little behind, the next thing I knew, I was a lot behind. And it breaks my heart to not have each and every special memory and picture documented. Hopefully I'll be able to catch up on some of those events, but in the mean time, I couldn't let this memory go undocumented.

A couple Saturdays ago on April 29th, I decided to take the boys swimming at the YMCA. I don't take them as often as I'd like because swimming with two little boys who don't actually know how to swim is A LOT of work!

Anyway, every time we've gone swimming before the 29th, I'd put life jackets on both boys and "swim" around as they both clung on tight to me. But on this particular day, Carson was walking around in the kiddie area of the pool when all of a sudden, he lifted up his legs and realized he was floating! (even though I had tried to tell him he'd float for months, haha!) Carson's whole face lit up, and he was SO excited!

After that, he'd jump off the edge of the pool (but only as long as I held his hand). Then he'd let go of my hand and swim a little ways, then turn around and swim back to the edge of the pool. Over and over he did this until I finally asked him if he wanted to do something super cool and swim across the entire length of the pool. I was sure he'd say no, but to my surprise, he wanted to!

We started at one end of the pool. He jumped in the water, and swam. And swam. And swam some more. At one point, he had me hold him to take a rest, but then he swam the rest of the length of the pool! I thought he'd be tired after that, but he turned around and wanted to swim the length of the pool again! And this time he swam the entire way by himself!

I was so so SO proud of him, and Carson was so so SO excited! The rest of the time we were at the pool, Carson just swam around all by himself while I held on to Sawyer! It was so cute because every time Carson would catch my eye, he'd grin ear to ear and hold both thumbs up in my direction. It was the cutest thing EVER.

Although Carson tests my patience now more than ever and is becoming so determinedly independent and stubborn, I adore seeing him discovering and learning new things. I can't wait to watch him doggie paddle all around the lakes this summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment