Sunday, June 4, 2017

Jellybeans and Gentlemen

The weekend of Memorial Day, Carson, Sawyer, and I were on our own while Alex was fishing in North Dakota with the guys in our family. The boys and I had a really great weekend playing with Owen, Symon, Abby, Sara, Delia, J.T., Monika, Mady, and Dominick. What beats getting to play with a bunch of friends and cousins, right?!

Well, the weekend was so great for me too because I just ... reconnected with my sweet boys. I think (or at least I'm hoping) that all moms go through phases where they're just frustrated to the max with all the things their kids do wrong instead of taking sweet, precious moments to just ... enjoy their kids as they are. I'm at least guilty of that; I got so frustrated with Carson's whining and defiance, his poopy pants, Sawyer biting and just ... not remotely listening.

But that weekend. something shifted in my perspective. And in my perspective and attitude change, I noticed a huge change in my children's perspectives and attitudes. In enjoying my kids more, I've noticed Carson's his sweet, giddy self shining through again. In being a little more patient with Sawyer, he's a (slightly!) better listener. In doing a bit more with them, (swimming lessons with Sawyer and Little Movers gymnastics with Carson), the little things are extra special once again.

That was a bit of a tangent, but here's the story of one such special little moment. Carson has learned how to open car doors. That weekend, he made the connection that he could open my car door too. The first time he did it, he excitedly said, "Mommy look! I opened your door!"

Being touched by his sweet gesture, I gushed, "Oh Carson! That's SO sweet of you! You're such a gentleman!"

He gave me a funny look and said, "Mom ... I'm not a jellybean."

CUTEST. THING. EVER.

Oh, how I love him! PS he also calls sunscreen "sun scream," and it also is the cutest thing ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment