But I'm not laughing now. It's time....time for this baby to get out of me. Like, now.
I'm 38 weeks pregnant today...and still very very pregnant.
| I feel like I don't look very happy to be pregnant anymore...ha...ha.. |
I've had a pretty emotional day... Although I have a feeling Alex would say "pretty emotional" is a huge understatement.
It started with my weekly doctor's appointment. Not gunna lie; I was hoping I'd walk in today and Dr. Frimpong would say I was dilated to at least a 1. Call me crazy, but I actually had hopes of going into labor...like...maybe this weekend.
I think the whole "It's time" thing hit me when everything was set. Alex and I just finished up getting the last of the baby things. I just completed organizing the baby's room. The car seat is ready to go in the car and everything. I even just completed packing my hospital bag. Heck, I have jolly ranchers packed to get me through any rough contractions. I. am. set.
But with a big grin on his face, Dr. Frimpong flippantly said, "You aren't dilated at all. By the position you're in, you've got at least another two weeks."
The nurse in the room told him he better back away from me if he's going to tell me that. And she was right. I wanted to twist that doctor's tie around his neck, stuff it down his throat, and then proceed to kick him in the shins repeatedly.
...I didn't. But I really wanted to.
They left the room and I actually cried.... Like the tears-streaming-down-your-face cried. Off and on, that's all I've done all day. Don't get me wrong; I love still feeling Hershey squirm around. I love seeing my belly roll all over the place as he shifts positions.
But it's time. Time for this little guy to make his big debut into the world. Time for me to get to hold him in my arms, snuggle him up, smell his sweet baby scent, and kiss him to pieces. Not to mention, it's time for my body to not be in constant ridiculously intense pain.
I guess I have to come to grips that this baby isn't coming early. I've had a gut feeling for a while now that I'll actually end up getting induced.. So I'm trying really really really hard to shift my thinking...and my attitude.
Having "at least two more weeks" means a little more one-on-one time with Alex. It's also two extra weeks of uninterrupted sleep (well...if you don't count peeing every 2 hours or rotating uncomfortably from side-to-side throughout the night.) It's two more weeks of having a very flexible schedule and not having to hurry my way through a grocery store. So there are blessings that go along with being pregnant for at least two more weeks.
Still, I can't help but want it to be time for this baby to come. But even though I may have all the physical stuff to be prepared for this baby, maybe I'm still not prepared. Granted, I don't think any new parent is ever truly prepared and ready for parenthood, but maybe a couple extra weeks will be good for me. Reflecting on past experiences, I've often had the attitude of wanting a future event to hurry up with its arrival. And in retrospect of such events, I always wish I would have enjoyed each and every moment a little more.
Maybe the same applies now...maybe I should just chill out and enjoy Hershey's nudges against my rib cage a little more. Maybe I should snuggle up with Alex and watch a good long movie while we still have the chance. Maybe I should even take advantage of the ability I have to shower daily ... and shower for however long I want. So maybe it's not time for this little guy to come...but it definitely is time for me to just ... relax and enjoy each day. Ready. Set. Go.
No comments:
Post a Comment