December 28th marked our 2 year anniversary. It's hard to believe it was just 2 years ago that Alex and I were sealed in the Nauvoo temple. I can remember that day so vividly ... and it was the best day of my life.
Who knew 2 years later we'd be living in Rhinelander and we'd have a two-and-a-half-month old baby?! I honestly never expected our life to be where it is at this point in time, but I feel so deeply blessed and grateful that it is.
To celebrate our anniversary, Carson had his first official baby sitter - Aunt Macie and Uncle Vij, and Alex and I went to dinner at the Brick. We actually went there for our anniversary last year too. We got an appetizer of bacon-wrapped scallops, which were phenomenal!
Then for dinner, I ordered the cashew crusted raspberry chicken. But I was so excited about it that I forgot to take a picture. But it was amazing. :)
More than anything else, though, it was just really nice to have time with my husband - just the two of us. Alex is my best friend, my eternal companion, my hopes and my dreams all rolled into one. I realize how cheesy that sounds, but it's true.
We by no means have the "perfect" life, but the life we have brings me more happiness than I could ever have hoped for. Even though we have our own share of struggles, I always know I have Alex by my side. And knowing that makes me feel like I can conquer anything.
I've had a lot of time to reflect on Alex and my life with him lately because he's been out in North Dakota fishing with Jake and Tony this week. I never realized just how much I loved the small, day-to-day things of our life together until he left for a few days! It's crazy how much I miss weird things - like his loud snoring (I just can't sleep as well without it!), his constant ability to make me laugh, his huge help with Carson, the way he'll hold me before we fall asleep, and heck, even his random dirty socks spread throughout the house!
Even though I miss him like crazy and even though I've been a pansy and cried a few times from missing him so much, it's done me a lot of good - because I've realized just how very happy Alex makes me. Over the years of our friendship that budded into romance that led to our marriage, Alex has been the person I've always been able to trust and rely on. He's been the one who has slowly helped me see the good in myself, and he's been the one who has continually inspired me to be better. He has helped to strengthen my testimony of my Savior and my Heavenly Father, and I've never felt closer to them because of it.
Alex is the one who helped me see that I had an eating disorder, and he's the one who has stuck by my side through all the ups and downs that have come with the recovery process. He's been there for me when I crumbled, when I was at my lowest. And he's been there for me on days when I've kicked my eating disorder in the face and have had an exciting story about it to share with him.
I know it's going to sound incredibly cheesy, but I frequently have dreams about life before having Alex - like back in high school or early college - and I'll dream about some jerk face guy or just of being alone. And then, either at the end of the dream or right when I wake up, I remember I have Alex. And it's the happiest moment of my life every single time.
I'm so grateful for that happiness, and I feel so blessed that Heavenly Father brought Alex into my life. Even though life is by no means perfect, I know I will always have my absolute best friend through it all. I look forward to many more years with Alex, and an eternity to come.
No comments:
Post a Comment