Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Mini me

For the most part, people say Carson looks just like Alex. I often agree. However, there are several times where I honestly think he's a little miniature version of myself.

Sometimes, I swear he looks just like I did as a kid ...










 



Other times, Carson acts JUST like me. For instance, even if it's just a speck of something on the floor (part of a wrapper, etc), Carson goes out of his way to pick it up and carry it to the "ba-gage" (aka garbage). And he'll do this without me asking him to! 

When he plays with his play dough, there can't be a single speck of yellow play dough on the red play dough when we put it away.

Carson heavy-sighs just like me when he's upset or frustrated.

He also hates it when his hands get dirty. If he gets anything stuck on his hands at all (a sticker, food, or lately...snot - oh the joys of a sick child!), he will hold his dirty finger out to me repeating, "Ehh, ehh, ehh!" until I wipe it off.

He also loves using Lysol wipes to clean up messes. He even thoroughly enjoys being just like mommy and helping me do dishes when I'm at the sink doing dishes.

Carson loves cooking with me, most especially the "woosh-ies" (aka smoothies) we make on a daily basis.

Carson is also a huge fan of delightful smells, just like his mommy. He loves smelling candles, and especially loves getting into all my lotions on my side of the bed. He will open up every single one to smell it and put some of each on! He also enjoys my make-up a little more than he probably should, haha! When I'm getting ready, he'll join me in the bathroom and rub his face with all my various make-up brushes. It's kind of adorable. :)

And when something he's working on falls down or falls apart (cars on the table fall on the ground, puzzle breaks apart, etc), Carson gets this intensely-dramatic tone in his voice as he cries, "Oh no!" Not that I'm at all dramatic, though! *wink! wink!*

And Carson loves to read, maybe just as much as I love to read to him! Up until a couple months ago, it was really hard to get him to sit still for a book. But once he was finally going to bed and taking naps without a bottle (which started back in December!), Carson very quickly replaced his love for bottles with a love for reading. Now we read a book or two before every nap and every bedtime. We even have a children's scripture book from my mom that we also read before bed, and he loves it! (especially looking for pictures of Jesus and then kissing Jesus)

But even more than sometimes looking or acting like me, I swear Carson is better than me and genuinely helps to raise me up to be a better person. Back when putting him to bed was more challenging, I'd often forget to say prayers with him. But it only took a couple times of him - on his own - folding his arms to remind me what is most important. Even last night, when Alex and I told him it was time for na-night prayers, Carson quietly got onto his knees and folded his arms, a simple reminder to me that kneeling shows Heavenly Father even greater love and respect. Throughout the day, it is also Carson who wants to look for Jesus in his scripture book, carry around the picture of Jesus that hangs on his wall, or hold the picture of the Nauvoo temple from the refrigerator. It is so often Carson reminding me of the things that matter most, not the little things I so frequently stress over.

Carson's actions - right down to his continual selfless sharing with Sawyer, endless kisses and hugs for Mommy, Daddy, and Sawyer, and genuine desire to cheer up a crying baby brother (or a crying mommy) - honestly reflect the pure love of Christ and help me want to be better myself. On days when I'm in a funk, it is so often Carson who helps me out of it. I'm just so grateful to have Carson and for the opportunity to be his earthly mommy. 

3 comments:

  1. What a sweet post! I can totally see how he looks like your little kids pictures. I feel like babies look more like their dads but when you look at little kid pictures of the mom you can see it more. Maybe it's the less hair thing? I loved the last 2 paragraphs especially. I can see Dillon in Madilyn's smile from those pictures of little Dillon too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, I see so much of Dillon in Malilyn! She's such a cutie! :)

    ReplyDelete