Friday, July 6, 2018

Sawyer's 3rd birthday!

My sweet, sassy Bean. There's so much to say about you, especially since I've gotten SO behind with this whole journaling thing!

Yesterday you turned THREE years old. How is that even possible?! It feels like three DAYS ago that I was getting ready for church, breathing through some pretty intense contractions but convinced that I had time to go to church! Haha! Not quite! You came into this world at 12:44 pm, weighing 7 lbs 1.6 oz and measuring 19 3/4 in long. And you were perfect.

You still are, but you certainly bring a bunch of spunk, tenacity, and independence to the mix! Despite how sassy you can be some days, I wouldn't trade them for the world because it's just...you. And I adore you for everything you are.

And yesterday, I wanted to show you a wonderful day because I just...wanted you to know how much your daddy, big brother, and I adore you.

We started out our day right .... with popcorn, as was your request when you first woke up! No judgments, though - you asked for toast after that, so I didn't totally spoil you? Then we finished up your three layer chocolate cake with chocolate buttercream frosting ... and Reese's Pieces covering the whole cake to make it look like a basketball! It took forever, but it was well worth it to see your excitement! And your big brother sure had the best time helping sort out all the orange and brown pieces for me! (As I tucked Carson in bed last night, he actually told me - unprompted at all - that helping make your cake was his favorite part of the day.)

That ended up taking longer than expected, so Nana Janie and Uncle Ryan decided to come to our house. Before they arrived, we went to the Dollar Tree and picked out some birthday balloons, a tradition you certainly love!

When Uncle Ryan and Nana Janie got to our house, Uncle Ryan made us his amazing fish using the Walleye from the trip to North Dakota last week. You sure had a blast with Uncle Ryan - playing baseball, riding bikes, and showing off to him in any way you could! Yet again, I was so impressed how you weren't afraid of Uncle Ryan at all - it's like he was your new best friend right away.

After that, we went to Hardee's or "The Star Place," as you and your brother call it, with Daddy, Carson, Uncle Kaleb, and your cousins Jack, Owen, and Symon. I never tire of watching you play with your cousins because you make the most of every single moment with them! I don't think you're even able to hold back a smile when you're with them!

Next, we all came back to our house, where you opened your presents, played with your cousins, and ate your basketball cake. I just had the best day with you, Sawyer!

As for the little person you're becoming ... You talk more and more each day, and some of the words you know astound me! One of my favorites is when you ask if we're going to my "doctor's appointment" anytime we go anywhere. You say it oh-so seriously but in just the cutest way. But probably my very favorite big word you use is "struggling"! One day, you were having a difficult time opening something, and you just popped out, "Mom...I'm really struggling." I DIED! It was SO CUTE! And I was so impressed you used such a big word correctly! Granted, I think you hear your mommy say that a lot, but still!

You sure say a bunch of other cute things, too. You sadly don't call toast "toat" anymore, but you do call the movie Mulan "eee--han." Again, I DIE! It's so precious! And not too long ago, we were getting ready to go somewhere. As I was getting my shoes on, you asked, "Boots or lollipops, Mommy?" You kept repeating it and finally I realized you were referring to the flip-flops on my feet as "lollipops." Sawyer, you are too cute for words! And lately, anytime I hold you, you get this big cheesy grin on your face as you ask, "Can I pull your hair just a tiny bit?" It's somehow adorable the way you say it, although I'm not much of a fan of the hair pulling itself!

Several months ago, you started saying "muggle" for "snuggle." "A muggle me?" has since evolved to you currently saying, "Can you smuggle me?" I just adore it so much! (And it makes me all the more excited to introduce you to the world of Harry Potter!)

You call chocolate milk, "hot chocolate milk," which I find so endearing. You call yogurt, "mogurt." And probably my favorite is how you call M&M's, "en-ee-ems." Keep in mind you frequently wake up in the morning, and the first thing you'll say is, "Can I have en-ee-ems, Mommy? Pleeeeease?" I have to fight with EVERYTHING in my soul of souls to tell you no, that's how cute you are when you ask!! And after I tell you no, you SOB like I've taken away all the happiness in your entire existence. Whew, you are your mother's son when it comes to chocolate, my little dude! (And you're also your mother's son when it comes to sharing chocolate, I unfortunately might add!)

Your love for chocolate and sweets must be VERY deep. Back on June 7th, we were sitting at the table, eating dinner. Sawyer and I proceeded to have a conversation that went like this:

Me: I love vegetables.
Sawyer: me too!
Me: what's your favorite kind, Sawyer?
Sawyer: ... candy.

Whoops. But I get it, kid! A little too well! ;-)

You still sleep in your crib because after you fell out once, you haven't tried again since! You sleep from around 8 or 8:30 PM until somewhere between 8 and 10 AM. It's GLORIOUS. Except for the occasional night where you wake up in the middle of the night and refuse to go back to sleep for the longest time!

You could play outside all day, if I let you! You love riding bikes in the front yard. (At the beginning of May, you figured out how to pedal all on your own!) And you love playing in the sand box (AKA your favorite place to poop!) in the back yard. But your very favorite activity is, without a doubt, basketball. Every time we go to the YMCA, you beg me to play basketball in the gym. Every time we're anywhere with a basketball hoop, that's all you want to do. The amazing thing is ... you are EXTREMELY talented at dribbling! With either hand, too! And even switching hands! People often comment to me how impressed they are by your dribbling, and I sure am too!

As for potty training, you are one feisty little boy! Back in mid-May or so, I bought M&M's (where the obsession began), as well as some Dollar Tree prizes for the purpose of potty training. But I could NOT get you interested. At all. But fortunately, you have Carson for a big brother!

On May 29th, Carson prayed that you would get potty trained the next day. As Carson pooped the next day, I overheard him explain to you how to do it. The next thing I know, you - Big Boy Sawyer - were sitting on the potty and hollered for me to come see your poop! So of course, we had to take some pictures, do a happy dance, and get a "surprise" (aka prize), as you and Carson call it!

This happened a few times, too - where you'd poop on the potty. And you've peed a few times, too. But, try as I might, you only pee and poop on the potty if it's your idea ... if you're in the mood for a prize. I know you're very capable of it; most of the time your diaper is dry in the morning if I have to wake you up for something. But man, you don't care at all if you're wearing underwear and you pee and poop in it! It's an ongoing struggle! But truth be told, I'm kind of okay with you still wearing diapers because it allows me to cling to you as my baby a little bit longer.

You can count objects very well. And you can count up to 20 or so, give or take a few missing numbers! You know your colors and a handful of shapes, and you're able to recognize your name, the letter "S," the letter "A," the letter "H", the letter "O," and the letter "X." (Maybe some other that I'm forgetting..)

Your favorite song is "Shake it Off," by Taylor Swift. I literally couldn't be any prouder! You've been obsessed with your books, except for the past couple months. I can't seem to get you to hold still that long anymore, and I miss it a lot!

You push your boundaries a lot, too, kiddo! Lots of times, you won't start listening until Mommy or Daddy starts counting down from 5. (After 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, you go to time out...and sob!) But all the time, I hear from other people how good of a listener and how well behaved you are. It makes all the times you fight me on listening worth it!

Your kisses, hugs, and "I love you, Mommy"s more than make up for the times you're sassy. Your tender heart can always sense if I'm sad or on the verge of tears, and you'll always stop what you're doing to help me feel better. You're so full of life and genuine joy, and I admire that so much about you. You say, "Hi! What your name? I'm Sawyer." to complete strangers ALL. THE. TIME. You consistently get those strangers to stop what they're doing and have a legit conversation with you, and they, 100% of the time, develop a happier disposition from talking to you. Seeing you touch the lives of others is inspiring and honestly motivating to me as a naturally more introverted person. I love you with a greater, deeper capacity each and every day I spend with you. Happy birthday, my sweet boy, and I hope you have a wonderful third year of life!




















No comments:

Post a Comment