My emotions have been running high all day ... because I just love you so much. You are a remarkable little boy, with a heart full of thoughtfulness, selflessness, affection, and humility (the latter being something your grandpa commented on today).
I had the BEST day with you, Carson! And according to you at dinner tonight, this was your best birthday ever! (Oh, I'm so glad you had that great of a day!) After that you added, "And I didn't even cry today!" Haha, I guess that was a big accomplishment for you!
After church, we went to Grandma and Grandpa's. We had lunch and a fish-shaped birthday cake (which I had so much fun making for you!). We brought over one present for you to open there - a red Rescue Bot Transformer named Heatwave, who you told me tonight was your favorite present.
I also brought supplies to make "fishing poles," which you had a blast doing with your cousins! The fishing pole was a pretzel rod, the peel-apart Twizzlers were the fishing line, and sour gummy worms were the worms, of course! You kids pounded down that candy, let me tell you!
We had cold pizza with Hawaiian Punch for dinner, which was your request. As I tucked you into bed tonight, you even exclaimed, "Mom, can we have your cold pizza EVERY day?!" It was oh so cute!
I held you tight and couldn't stop giving you kisses as I tucked you into bed tonight. I'm just so grateful to get to be your mommy. You're the most amazing five-year-old I know!
I'm constantly in awe at how smart you are and how quickly you learn and pick up on things. And I'm also so impressed by your perseverance in everything you do. I worked with you and writing your name a bit this past summer, and on August 24th, you traced your name, and I was SO proud of you! But I was even more proud of you for how I never had to nag you to practice tracing your name; you always were doing it all on your own! You started school on Tuesday, September 11th, and by September 14, you could already write your name all by yourself!
You're also impressively talented at memorizing things! Whenever you give a talk or participate in the Primary program, you're always able to memorize the accompanying scriptures. We have a lot of fun doing it, too! I write on the words to the scriptures on individual papers, tape them to the floor, and you move along the words, learning the scriptures to the tune of different songs. What's the most fun for me is seeing how much you enjoy working hard at a goal, and then accomplishing it!
On September 13th before bed, I tried to get you to go to the bathroom one last time. You were convinced you didn't need to, and began to pout on the floor of the hallway. Exhausted and feeling rather defeated, I sat on the stool in the bathroom.
All of a sudden, you rushed over to me with your face lit up. "Mommy, I just heard a voice in my head!"
😳 "... That's cool? ...." I replied, a little freaked out!
Your response touched my heart: "It was Jesus! He told me to listen to my mother!" You are a constant reminder to me of obedience, and you are always so in tune with the Spirit. You strengthen my testimony of our Savior and His gospel each day, Carson. And I cannot ever thank you enough for that.
You are always thinking of and looking out for Sawyer. And you are the absolute BEST big brother and example to him! Like on May 29th, you prayed that Sawyer would get potty trained the next day. As you pooped the next day, I overheard you explain to Sawyer how to do it. The next thing I knew, Sawyer was sitting on the potty and hollered for me to come see his poop! I honestly couldn't have potty trained Sawyer without your help and example to him!
You are a snuggler through and through, and I hope that never changes. You still sleep with me and Daddy, and throughout the night, you'll snuggle right up to me. Those moments are some of the times when I am most blissfully happy and genuinely content with living in that very moment. And sometimes, throughout the night, you'll even tenderly kiss me. It means everything to me, sweet Carson. You'll even sometimes whisper, "Can you snuggle me?" which also melts my heart.
One time that particularly melted my heart was when I put you to bed on January 23rd. When I tucked you into bed that night, your face lit up as you said, "Mom, do you know what? I'm going to be your best friend forever and ever." Oh, how I love you Carson!
And then there's the "S" word ... school. I'm still not totally adjusted to you being gone ALL day Tuesday and Thursday, but it makes it so much easier seeing how much you love it! Leading up to school starting, you wore the shark backpack Grandma got you constantly. You even tried to wear it to bed!
You've been doing amazing in school. Your teacher, Ms. Koth, is incredible! And she loves you! She told me one day that you were doing really well and that she wished she had a class full of Carsons. I even had the chance to go on a field trip with you earlier this week. We went to HAVOC, and despite the rain, we had a great time inside! It was so fun for me to see how well you listen to your teacher and how kind you are to your classmates. I just love seeing you thrive! (I also really loved how proud and happy you were to have me be "one of the teachers." And it touched my heart that even at school, you still wanted to sit with me and even give me kisses.)















No comments:
Post a Comment