Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Birthday girl

Well, today I'm 24 years old! I wasn't feeling old until my parents mentioned I'm one year away from being a quarter of a century!

It's been a rather uneventful day, but it's okay because it's given me the chance to reflect on the small, sweet, simple things ... the things I like to call the 'minty fresh moments.'
Carson slept 4 hours straight, from 1 am to 5 am. And although 4 hour stretches are fairly common during the day, it was a big change and a huge blessing to have him sleep that long at night! Alex said it was Carson's birthday present to me because Alex had given him a talk about letting his mommy sleep. :) Carson's clearly a good listener already.

Later that morning, I woke up to Alex having cleaned the apartment. Bless his heart, he knows I go crazy in a messy apartment. He even made me a super delicious breakfast while I finished up nursing Carson.

And as I nursed Carson, I looked down at him - all snuggled up against me, his deep gulps, and his heavy breathing - and just having Carson was the best birthday present I could really ask for. Having him fills me with so much purpose. And having Carson encourages me to be a better person, to try and improve upon my flaws and shortcomings. I never dreamed I could love someone so much that I've known for such a short time. It's such a beautiful thing to feel so much love; love that just gushes out as the purest form of happiness.


This onesie makes my insides smile every time. :)

"I may love Mommy, but I hate her taking pictures."

Still not lovin' the camera; he just wanted to eat. haha. Love my little Hershey Man to pieces.
Alex had to work in Park Falls today, so he left for work about 1 pm and still isn't home at 10 pm. I was pretty bummed about that happening on my birthday, but it got me thinking back on Alex and I were just kids in love.. I can remember the birthdays of my late teen years and early 20's and how I absolutely ached to be with Alex. Yes, I know how sappy that sounds, but it's true. I can remember wanting nothing more than just to be by Alex's side, instead of separated by thousands of miles. And now, not only do I get to be with him every day; I get to be with him for eternity.

I also got to skype with my parents today. I just recently introduced them to the awesomeness of skype, and they love it! They kept saying how big Carson's getting and how healthy and happy he looks. That made for one proud mama. :) My parents even had a chocolate doughnut with 24 lit candles that they had me "blow out." And the traditional birthday sign that my mom would make and hang for me every year. I basically have the best parents. :) They also got me this awesome bath scrub, and a super cute scarf and sweater.

Thanks Mom and Dad! Purple's the best!
There were a couple of things that meant the world to hear from my parents: 1) Just hearing them interact with Carson over skype. It's so special to see them love Carson to pieces; the same way they've loved me to pieces for the past 24 years. and 2) For them to say how good of a mom I am. Granted, I don't claim to be a "perfect" mom by any means, but I love that they find happiness in my happiness as a mommy. 

Terri was super sweet and brought me dinner from Culver's tonight, and we chatted for a bit. I'm so glad I have her as my mother-in-law. :)

 And tonight, our sexy 40-inch Samsung Smart TV (that was a pre-Black Friday mega sale deal) came. Check. it. outtttt....

Merry early-Christmas to us. :)

And to top off my birthday, snow. Magical, glorious, wonderful snow.


My day is complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment