Monday, April 8, 2013

Twelve.

Twelve. There's 12 eggs in a dozen. There's the "12 Days of Christmas" song. And there's 12 months in a year. But today the number 12 means so much more to me than just some eggs in a box.

Today, I'm 12 weeks pregnant. And I never dreamed, in a hundred million years, that this is where my life would be right now.

The beginning of all this was rough. I've struggled with an eating disorder for most of my life, but within the past couple years it's gotten a lot more severe. I wouldn't normally be this open with telling others, but I've learned that being honest with others helps me be more honest with myself. I've been seeing a counselor since October, and it's been a long road of ups and downs.

On March 1st, I had an appointment with my counselor. I showed up in my pajamas, falling asleep on the shoulder of my husband. As I talked to my counselor, I can remember pouring my heart out about how completely exhausted my body had been. I expressed worry over my recent eating and the seemingly awful effects it was having on my health. I was just falling apart.

"Breanne, here's your homework for today: you need to go home and take a pregnancy test," Jessica replied.   I was shocked. I told her she was crazy. I told her that there was no chance I could be pregnant; I had an eating disorder. But I told her I'd appease her anyway.

Pictures are worth a thousand words, but when I saw this after the first few seconds, my feelings were worth even more ...


When my sweet husband Alex saw the results, he was completely happy and entirely calm. Me, on the other hand, I was kind of totally freaking out. It didn't feel real ... it didn't feel possible ... that I was going to be a mom.

But a few days later on March 4th, I had my first doctor's appointment. And I guess at-home tests don't lie!

That started something in me. Some kind of fire in the core of my heart. That probably sounds cheesy, but it's true. Suddenly, food wasn't my enemy. In fact, I finally enjoyed eating for the first time in years. The first time I put on a pair of jeans and I couldn't get them to button, I was ecstatic. I knew little Baby was growing, and I knew I was feeding Baby the nourishment he/she needed.

My first ultrasound was March 26th. Anyone who knows me knows that I am suuuupppper obsessed with children. I've always gotten legit giddy over adorable kids and getting to work with them in elementary schools or babysit them. In college, I had a friend ask me, "Do you think you'll be this giddy over your own kids someday? Like...do you think you'll squeal with 'AWW!'s every time you look at your own kid?" I laughed it off and said no, but now I'm not so sure.

You see, this baby is THE CUTEST thing in the world...even with its head taking up half its body. Like for real, every time I look at the ultrasound pictures, I actually get giddy and smiley and all sorts of silly happiness just leaks out of my being. Oh my goodness...I'm getting all giddy just THINKING about how cute this little baby is! I'll let you see what I mean..






Seriously, isn't this baby ridiculously cute? Look at the tiny little arms and legs! Whew, okay, I'm done gushing... for now. :) Eek, I'm just so happy and excited.

And it's only gotten better. I feel like I'm actually developing a true handle on my eating disorder and all the self-talk that goes along with it. And I'm happier than I ever have been. Alex and I have always been blessed with so much love and happiness in our marriage, but the addition of this little baby has brought us even closer.

And this is how excited I was about taking 12-week pregnancy pictures...


Okay, serious picture. There's a little belly there, see it?! See it?!


And that catches you up! Maybe some of you are wondering why on earth this blog is entitled "Munchkins & Minty Fresh Moments." Well, I'm OBSESSED with mint. Possibly to an unhealthy degree! Christmas time brings peppermint oreos (they have actual candy cane chunks in them!), and I eat them by the package. Mint oreo blizzards are my go-to Dairy Queen treat. And you know those candle warmers? ...I have a peppermint scented one that I burn year round. I even bought about seven candy cane flavored chapsticks during the Christmas season so that my lips could enjoy Christmasy mint all year long. The list goes on and on ... mint is just my best friend. And the credit goes to my awesome sister-in-law Katie for coming up with the mint incorporation. :)

Anyway, as corny as it sounds, mint anything is just...magical. Like for real, mint makes me all giddy (apparently lots of things do). And anything mint is in some kind of state of perfection. Minty fresh moments are those perfect moments. Or even those moments in life that are somehow so far from "perfect" that you still have candid pictures of them ingrained in your mind. Either way, they are the moments you hold close to your heart that you'll never forget.

And the "Munchkin" part? ...Let's be honest; I have the cutest little munchkin ever growing in my belly. :)

7 comments:

  1. I am so proud of you Bre. So proud. Proud of how you are taking control of your life; the changes you are making are just awesome and I can tell how happy you are now every time I see you- and how healthy you look! You GLOW. Seriously. You are going to be an incredible mother and I can't wait either!

    I am compiling a list of all the maternity and baby shots we are going to take- and yes there is a bump there already! (On me it is a 'I ate a big burrito' bump. On you it is a perfect little baby bump:) )

    Oh and I think I have the perfect name for your little girl. (I decided that is what you need to have). Peppermint Patty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! Peppermint Patty...I love it! But my gut says it's a boy, so work on a boy version of that. And thanks. :) I'm glad how I'm finally feeling is showing through. And oh my goodness, I cannot wait to take pictures!

      Delete
    2. Peppermint Pete
      Minty Moe
      or how about Spearmint Si!!

      Delete
  2. I couldn't say much more than what Katie already did, but I just wanted to add my 2 cents. I can't wait to see your little Baby with it's gigantic head. It's already super cute, and I know that you and Alex are going to be wonderful parents if you just remember to keep working together :) That's what it's all about! (it is not, after all, the Hokey Pokey)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, so happy for you :) You are going to be a splendid mama :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So excited for you! Being a mom is the best and I know you will be so great!! And I'm with you on the mint front. I think my love for it might be unhealthy as well. :). Love you girl! First trimester is the hardest, but you're almost there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are the cutest! Looove your blog :)

    ReplyDelete