I can remember going through a phase where all the pictures I drew were of moms having babies. And I can very distinctly remember drawing a big bat-stick-thing that the doctor used to push the baby out of the mom. Whew, I'm glad it doesn't really work that way! You know, I'm still curious as to where I got the idea that the doctor literally whacks the baby out of you!
Anyway, I started reflecting on that childhood book today as I was reading through my current books..
I think the connection between these books and You Were Smaller Than a Dot is actually a common feeling. I can remember reading that book as a kid and just loving the idea of having a baby and being a mom. And all these years later, these pregnancy books are getting me even more excited to have a baby and be a mom! Well...with the exception of the chapters that address intense pain, delivery, and all the tiny possibilities of things that can go wrong. Haha. Fortunately, I read right through those unpleasant chapters because I'm too excited to let anything else get in the way. :)
So I actually have to share what Babycenter.com told me about my little baby this week:
The most dramatic development this week: reflexes. Your baby's fingers will soon begin to open and close, his toes will curl, his eye muscles will clench, and his mouth will make sucking movements. In fact, if you prod your abdomen, your baby will squirm in response, although you won't be able to feel it. His intestines, which have grown so fast that they protrude into the umbilical cord, will start to move into his abdominal cavity about now, and his kidneys will begin excreting urine into his bladder.
Meanwhile, nerve cells are multiplying rapidly, and in your baby's brain, synapses are forming furiously. His face looks unquestionably human: His eyes have moved from the sides to the front of his head, and his ears are right where they should be. From crown to rump, your baby-to-be is just over 2 inches long (about the size of a lime) and weighs half an ounce.
Eek, I get so giddy inside every time I read it! The fact that this baby can curl its little toes...that he/she is the size of a lime...just gives me butterflies! This miracle of life is so incredible, and it makes the existence of a loving Heavenly Father only more real to me. I'm touched that Heavenly Father is entrusting me and Alex with one of His choice spirit children. It humbles me to think how much of a learning and growing experience this is for me and Alex.
Granted, as parents, we are the ones to teach our children and rear them in righteousness. But really, when you think about it, raising a child is Heavenly Father's way of raising us as parents to become more like Him. I think it's His way of teaching me that even as an adult, I'm the one who's still smaller than a dot with all my imperfections, but with His help in raising this child and my Savior's Atonement, I'll become more like Him.
No comments:
Post a Comment