Sunday, May 12, 2013

To my mom

Today is Mother's Day. And I'm a mother-to-be! It still doesn't feel completely real, but I'm just so grateful for this day.

I gave a talk on the divinity of motherhood today in church, and at first I was completely daunted by such a topic - when I have no "mother" experience. But it turned out to be the best talk assignment I could have been given. The research I did on how sacred of a calling motherhood is gave me strength, courage, and most importantly, greater faith in myself and in my Heavenly Father's ability to help me as a mother.

It also gave me the chance to reflect on my own upbringing from my mom. We've of course had our ups and downs over the years, but she is without a doubt the best mom I could ever ask for. I shared in my talk today a couple of stories about my mom - how she helped me develop a testimony of life after death when my Bumpa Dick passed away, my first memory of praying on my own because of what my mom had taught me, and of her unconditional love - no matter how many mistakes I made. Ultimately, my mom has helped me become who I am today. She gave me the fundamentals of the Gospel and helped me develop my own testimony of those things. And she was always an example to me. In fact, she still is.

I love you mom, and I hope I can be as amazing of a mother to my baby as you were (and are) to me.


No comments:

Post a Comment