Since all my cooking is the straight-by-the-recipe kind, Alex has been working on broadening my horizons. He forces me to smell what I'm making instead of doing exactly what the recipe says. Then if I taste something, he won't let me move on to something else until I tell him what flavor stands out to my taste buds. I always act impatient with all this, but secretly I really like that Alex is helping me become more confident in my cooking skills. But shhh...don't tell him I said that! ;-)
Anyway, a few days ago I was browsing through good ole Pinterest, and I found this delicious looking Thai recipe. Alex helped out with cooking some mushrooms (awesome addition, by the way!) and cooking the pasta. But the rest of the recipe he made me do myself. I've figured out his strategy for doing this, by the way: you see, whenever he cooks something, I tell him it tastes so much better when he makes it. I've always been convinced that he's just better with flavor ratios and whatnot. And in the past when I've cooked something for him, I'm always convinced that it tastes awful. ... Entirely because I made it. Haha, oh the self-criticism I give himself!
Anyway, Alex has been helping out with dinners by having me make the decisions about if something needs more of this or less of that. That way, I can never tell him, "Oh, it only tastes good because of what you did with it." This way, I'm forced to recognize when something tastes yummy because of me. Let me tell you, it is oddly difficult to admit to myself when I make something that tastes good.
So I guess a big part of why I love cooking with Alex is because he's helping me learn to love myself more, and trust in my abilities/talents more. Alex is, without a doubt, exactly the husband I need. He helps me be the best I can be, all while making me the happiest girl alive. Granted, we go through our share of challenges, but just knowing I will always have him by my side through anything makes everything feel more possible.
Oh, and we sure make some fantastic food together... (and the changes we made to the recipe were awesome!)
| I was just going to take a picture of the food all mixed up, but Alex insisted on plating it all fancy-like! I told him, "I can't eat that much!" but he said he had to make the food look pretty. |
Thai Noodles & Chicken
The combination of peanut butter, soy sauce, red pepper and brown sugar
makes this dish Thai. The grilled chicken, coleslaw mix and chopped peanuts
makes it absolutely delicious...and it's ready in just 30 minutes.
What You'll Need
1 can (10 3/4 ounces) Campbell's® Condensed Cream of Mushroom with Roasted Garlic Soup
1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
3 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons lime juice
2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 package (6 ounces) refrigerated fully-cooked grilled chicken strips (about 1 1/2 cups)
1 package (16 ounces) vermicelli pasta, cooked and drained
2 cups coleslaw mix
1/3 cup chopped dry-roasted peanuts
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves (optional)
How to Make It
1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
3 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons lime juice
2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 package (6 ounces) refrigerated fully-cooked grilled chicken strips (about 1 1/2 cups)
1 package (16 ounces) vermicelli pasta, cooked and drained
2 cups coleslaw mix
1/3 cup chopped dry-roasted peanuts
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves (optional)
How to Make It

I'm telling
ReplyDeleteand this looks super super yummy. I want some!! Go you is right :)
ReplyDelete