Tuesday, January 6, 2015

14 weeks, lemons, and sweet tender kisses.

Yesterday (Mon Jan 5th) was the 14th week marker for this pregnancy. Despite the continuing exhaustion and nausea, this pregnancy is still going by really fast!

14 weeks pregnant means I'm officially in the second trimester. Whoo-hoo! It's crazy to think that this little baby is the size of a lemon right now and he/she has doubled in weight since last week. The whole growth process of a baby is such an absolute miracle; it's hard to imagine people not believing in God based on that alone.

As for me, I'm still pretty nauseous most days. Baby websites, books, and doctors keep saying the beginning of the second trimester is the start of feeling better and more energetic. I have yet to really experience either of those... And within the past couple weeks, my hips have been creaking, popping, and aching every time I walk. It's no fun and makes me feel like a little old lady. But, on the upside, I'm sure it provides some entertainment for anyone who sees me walk.

As for cravings, still anything citrus-y - oranges, lemons, lemonade, and especially orange juice. In fact, I get a little crabby if I don't have any orange juice to drink first thing when I wake up. Within the past week, I've also developed strong cravings for vegetables - salad, tomatoes, avocadoes, mini cucumbers, carrots ... yumm! I'm pretty sure it's my insides trying to recuperate from all the junk food at our New Years Eve get-together!






So while I'm talking about my new little baby, I have to mention my other baby. Carson warms my heart more everyday, especially these days when I just feel so nauseous and awful. Today was a particularly hard day: I didn't sleep well last night, I had an appointment bright and early this morning (requiring me to brave the frigid, negative-degree weather), I came home still feeling pretty nauseous. I put Carson down for an early nap and tried to nap myself, but I never ended up falling asleep. Then I had to wake Carson early from his nap for another appointment, and of course he wasn't too happy about that. And then later this evening, there was a poop diaper incident that involved no wipes within reach and poop at his ankles. Oofta, it was a long day.

But through it all, Carson really was a trooper. And just oh so sweet. Tonight, I was sitting on the couch. He came over and poked at my belly like he sometimes does. I lifted my shirt so he could see my belly and told him he has a baby brother or sister in there. Then I told him to wave to his brother/sister, not thinking he would. But without missing a beat, he put his little hand right up against my belly and waved. Touched, I told him he should give the baby a kiss. And without missing a beat again, he blew a kiss right to my belly.


I'm convinced Carson is going to be the best big brother, and I honestly feel like he knows there's a special little person growing in Mommy's belly. I just love Carson's gentleness so much, and I can't wait to see my two littlest favorite people ever interact. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment