Some days as a mom are particularly amazing. Maybe it's because I somehow find the time to get the dishes done. Maybe it's because Carson takes a nice long nap. Maybe it's because of less nausea and more energy, although those days seem few and far between! Maybe it's even because the weather is above 0 degrees and feels like some kind of tropical paradise.
But, more likely than anything else, some days I think I just appreciate getting to be a mom more than others. I take joy in the little things - a kiss from Carson, reading him a book, or dancing to the latest Taylor Swift album. Today was one of those days.
I had an appointment with my counselor this morning, and she said something that really left an impression: "I'm going to tell you something as a fellow mom, not as a therapist. Enjoy this time before your second baby comes. Enjoy time alone with Carson, and enjoy getting to nap and rest when Carson's napping - because once you have a second kid, you're always needed by someone. So don't feel bad when you don't feel well and you just need to take it easy - because for now, you can." Profound words.
I think it helped me loosen up a lot more on myself today; instead of being hard on myself for what I'm not doing with Carson, I just ... had fun with him. And it was amazing! Carson is just the sweetest, cutest little guy, and so full of spunk. He can throw balls and play with cars (or anything with wheels) forever, and it's just as fun and exciting for him every time. He can get on and off our couch (and as of a couple weeks ago, he can get off the couch not head first!), and he loves diving from cushion to cushion. He still gets a kick out of finding all the hats in the house, wearing them, and putting them on / pulling them off of Mommy and Daddy. And he's finally saying "ma ma," although right now both Alex and I are "ma ma," so I'm not sure he really associates it with me yet. Haha. Carson is also really loving his crib. He'll stay awake at night sometimes - just playing and talking to himself. And he loves playing in his crib forever when he wakes up; he'll babble and laugh to himself for a good hour!
Something about today just made me appreciate all these cute little things about Carson even more. He just brightens each day and makes me so happy. I'm definitely going to try harder to really appreciate every precious moment with him because in no time at all, there will be another little cutie pie to play with!
No comments:
Post a Comment