Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Birthday weekend getaway!

A few weeks ago, I had the brilliant idea to have a kid-free getaway for Alex's birthday weekend. Initially, my plans were to have it be a complete surprise for Alex, but after making arrangements for Sawyer and Carson, I really didn't know what specifically what Alex would prefer the most: going to The Waters in Minocqua, staying at Andy and Katie's lake house in Sugar Camp, or going to Chicago to visit Jake. 

We initially made plans to go to Chicago but kind of last minute ended up going to Milwaukee instead. We stayed at the Radisson that was actually just a few minutes from Abby and Kaleb ... and it was SO nice! (Granted, it didn't have a free waffle breakfast, but you can't have everything in life!) We were on the very top floor, and my favorite part was for sure the bathroom! 







You see, anyone who really, truly knows me knows that I despise using bar soap in the shower, especially the lousy kind in hotels! But at this hotel, in addition to a magnifying, lighted mirror that was PERFECT for tweezing my very-bushy eyebrows, there was a loofah AND delightful smelling body wash! IT WAS SO EXCITING AND I WAS SO RIDICULOUSLY giddy over it! (PS the shower bar soap they had was even amazing; it had exfoliating beads in it!)



I'll be honest; I was kind of a mess the week leading up to this vacation. It was our first time leaving the boys for any real length of time with someone else. And I was so detailed in my too-many-pages-to-actually-tell-you notes about the boys' schedules, etc. ... but I didn't want my poor mother to be too overwhelmed or have to deal with too many meltdowns from the boys! Anyway, where I was going with this is that I was so worried I'd be too stressed and worried about my kids to actually enjoy the weekend. But literally the second I got into our Cobalt to drive to Milwaukee, Vacation Breanne made a comeback. Huzzah! SO grateful! (Obviously I think it helped a ton that my amazing mom stepped up to take both boys after some change in plans and that she was willing to watch them at our house! She is absolutely, without a doubt, the BEST Nana and the BEST mom ever! And I know it helped her out a bunch that John and Terri were able to watch the boys for a bit after a long first night with Sawyer!)

Anyway, after Alex and I hung out with Abby, Symon, and Owen for a bit, we headed to our hotel. We decided on Ninja Japanese Steakhouse for dinner. We had some hibachi chicken and steak - which is where the cook cooks right in front of you while doing some cool, fancy stuff! It was pretty neat! But what was out-of-this-world good was the sushi. It was crispy, which honestly made it the best sushi I've ever had!! Ahh I could eat there every single day!

After that, we went to the Marcus Cinema ... only one of my new favorite places of life. The seats in the theater? They were full-on recliner chairs. Alex took a picture, but it was blurry and dark because he was scared it was gunna get us kicked out! haha! We saw the newest Tarzan movie, which I wasn't really expecting anything from, but it was really good!

Following that, we just hung out in the hotel until going to bed ... where I slept, undisturbed by crying children, soundly through the night. Well into morning. It. was. GLORIOUS. Even waking up and just being able to put on makeup and get ready at my own leisure was just magical!



Saturday the 16th was Alex's actual birthday. We headed to Nino's bakery for lunch, and it was delicious! We had some dynamite paninis, followed by some heaven-in-your-mouth dessert. Seriously though, SO good! Alex told me I was such a tourist, but I couldn't help but take pictures of the desserts! 




And of course, I had to take some pictures of the birthday boy and our desserts! He's the cutest. :)



We spent the rest of the afternoon shopping around - Target, Ooh La La, DSW, Ulta, the mall - all that good stuff! Alex had a few good finds, but really, he got me - the not birthday person - amazing stuff. I'll tell you something, there aren't many people in this world who genuinely want to make their spouse happy and do things for their spouse on their own birthday. But that's Alex. I can't get over how giving and kind-hearted he is, and I feel so blessed to have him as my best friend and eternal companion.

What I really loved about this trip was just being able to reconnect with Alex, and just Alex. Of course, I love our kids and all, but the chance to spend uninterrupted time with Alex was just amazing! I forgot how much fun Alex and I have together just doing something like walking around the mall!

We ended the day with dinner at Miggiano's - our favorite Italy restaurant. We actually tried some dishes we've never tried before, and they were amazing! I had Chicken Francese - Parmesan crust and lemon butter chicken with crispy Vesuvio potatoes; pure heaven I tell you!


That night we went swimming, too. We both look really terrific in this first picture, and Alex is such a selfie-poser in the second! haha!



We ended the night with foot masks we got at Sephora for like, 5 bucks! (GLORIOUSLY DIVINE, btw!) and room service dessert! The masks didn't completely fit around Alex's wide feet, but it was still great! And the desserts were SO GOOD.


Sunday was just as glorious as the rest of our weekend. But man, did I have a hard time with coming home! It was such a fun weekend just me and Alex, and it honestly wasn't long enough! My mindset only shifted when Carson called me on our drive home; his sweet, little high-pitched voice telling me about his day ... telling me he missed me ... telling me he loved me ... I couldn't help but be excited to see him after that!

When I walked in the front door of our house, Sawyer and Carson both rushed to me with giant smiles. And neither one of them wanted me to stop holding/hugging them. Aww ... those little munchkins ... I love them so!

I definitely had the best weekend ever with Alex, but it's good to be back with my boys! :) (PS Sawyer apparently walked across the room to Grandpa on Saturday! I can't get over how much more he's walking each day!)






















No comments:

Post a Comment