Monday, December 9, 2013

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas!

A few days ago, my mother-in-law dropped off a real Christmas tree on our door step. She's one of the sweetest people I know; she knows it's not Christmas for me without a real Christmas tree, and she knew Alex and I have been too busy with Carson to get to it. I don't think anyone could really understand how much that gesture meant to me. I've been so busy and somewhat stressed out that the meaning of the season hadn't really even registered yet. But when I saw that tree on my door step, I legitimately got giddy!

When Alex got home from work, he offered to take Carson for a bit so I could get out, go to the store, and get some ornaments and lights. He's the sweetest husband ever to make sure I take time for myself when I need it.

In the store, I was like a giddy little girl, eyeing up all the sparkly ornaments and bright lights. I ended up with blue and white lights and some blue and silver glittery ornaments, in addition to the glass ornaments I already had from growing up.

Alex and I decorated the tree Sunday night, with Christmas music in the background. We had the best time and shared so many good laughs. It's occasions like that that make me realize just how right Alex is for me. He's my best friend, he brings out the best in me, he accepts the worst of me, and I'm the truest version of myself with him and only him.

Here was the finished product..


At one point, I mentioned to Alex that we didn't have any kind of star to put on top. He replied, "Why don't we put our Nauvoo temple ornament on top instead?" For those of you who don't know, the Nauvoo temple is where Alex and I were married for time and all eternity. It seemed only fitting to have such a special symbol of marriage atop our tree. :) Beautiful, isn't it?



We also hung the little stockings from my mom. Obviously, our next child's name has to start with a "D"! ;-) 


I just love Christmas time! I love the colder weather, I love the snow. I love hot chocolate, Christmas trees, and candy cane flavored things (of course!). I love getting together with the whole family. I love that Alex will get time off work and that we get to enjoy the holiday season with sweet little Carson. And most of all, I love my Savior, Jesus Christ. I'm grateful for his birth into this world and for the life He lived and His atonement, all of which makes it possible for me to return to the presence of my Father in heaven, alongside my little family. Without Christ and what He did for each of us, this holiday season would merely be a time of gifts and Santa Claus. But it's so much more, and I'm so grateful to know that.



No comments:

Post a Comment